Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Look for pleasure in the differences

When I think of inspiring writings about cross cultural interactions, Henry James's novella "An International Episode" always comes to mind. It's light, for Henry James, and includes some encouragement for those who may be intimidated by encountering a foreign land. In this passage, the American Mrs. Westwood tries to change an Englishman's discomfort in visiting Newport, Rhode Island. (How rough could that be, really?) Here's the passage:

"But I must confess
I think Newport is an ideal place. I don't know anything like it
anywhere. Captain Littledale told me he didn't know anything like it
anywhere. It's entirely different from most watering places; it's a
most charming life. I must say I think that when one goes to a foreign
country one ought to enjoy the differences. Of course there are
differences, otherwise what did one come abroad for? Look for your
pleasure in the differences, Lord Lambeth; that's the way to do it;
and then I am sure you will find American society--at least Newport
society--most charming and most interesting."

No comments:

Post a Comment